For the play testers, I'm working on a version that has our page count down, but here are some of the changes to expect.
- Characters - While I love the concept and think it was a unique idea for a starship game, they are being pushed to book 2. This saves us tons of pages and allows us to integrate them better into the campaign system which was already scheduled (in my mind) for book 2.
- Squadron Orders - Since they were character driven, they will be part of the new rules in book 2
- Templates - Will be moved to web site for free download when we publish
- Sample Fleets - We will try to keep four of the seven in the first book. The others may show in the second or as an online based on space and timing.
So what does that leave us for Book One?
18 pages of core rules
3 pages of space terrain
9 pages of ship construction items to include starship specials
10 pages of sample fleets (~2.5 pages per fleet)
I still need to squeeze in scenarios and my fear is we may end up dropping another two sets of fleets leaving only two samples. Time will tell.
So what will go in Book Two (assuming things go well)?
- Campaign System,
- Additional Sample Fleets (Maybe),
- Specialty Fighters like Bombers and Interceptors
- Mine Fields
- Tractor Beams
- Boarding Parties
- Additional Special Rules
All that to give the testers a bit of fair warning on the next version headed your way by the weekend.
I'll be putting up a few questions for the testers that I am hoping to have your input on. Watch for those soon.
Edit: I saw I used the word soon four times in three sentences at the end. Changed to look less like a dweeb.